Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Review: Slumdog Millionaire


I went to see the Oscar-nominated film ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ yesterday, and honestly, I can see why it has been nominated for oodles of awards and won many of them. I don’t want to give much of the plot away, because I want you to go and see it. All I will say that the India we see in this film is a million miles from the shiny tourist India we see presented to us on the TV (I’ve never seen so much hardcore hustling in my life).

The acting is brilliant, especially from the two young Jamals. Dev Patel plays a convincing role as the young man who worked his way up from the slums to be on ‘Who Wants to Be a Millionaire’. I wouldn’t have guessed he would have become the most famous out of the first generation of Skins, but he fully deserves all the success.

‘Slumdog’ is a simple, yet effective story that by the end will have you smiling. Danny Boyle (the director) is pretty much a genius.

Oh, and watch the beginning of the credits. Jokes.

No comments: