Friday, March 27, 2009

On the radio...

I listen to music every single day. If it’s not through the radio or music channels, it’s through my iPod or even that song that is playing in my head. I love music.

However, recently I’ve noticed one fatal flaw with music played on the radio and on TV. It’s all the same.

Not a day goes by where Alesha Dixon’s breathe slow plays (the song makes me physically sick), or the latest repetitive offering from Akon (a blight on the music industry – he must be eradicated), or the latest skinny jean indie band (in a long, long line of them). But why is it that I never hear a Jill Scott song played through the radio? Why do I never see an Erykah Badu video played on MTV One?

Radio stations and music channels seem to promote very few artists, which is a shame, because there are so many out there. Artists with songs that will make your head explode. Some people would say that this repetition is due to the fact that this is what people want to hear, these are the records that people buy. Well how are people supposed to know about any other artists if they are never played on the radio or on TV?

Goapele, Terri Walker, Dwele, Jill Scott, Common, Eyrkah Badu, Angie Stone, Janelle Monae, N.E.R.D (I could go on, but I won’t), all amazing artists but rarely seen in the mainstream. Some would say that this because they are not ‘pop’. Well ‘pop’ is the abbreviation of ‘popular’ and the only way to become ‘popular’ is to be exposed to the masses.

All I’m asking for is a little variety. If I hear Akon holla ‘NA, NA, NA’ one more time, I think I may actually kill myself.

No comments: