Friday, February 6, 2009

Flashmob!



I’ve just literally just come back from the flashmob that was being held in Liverpool Street Station. If you were living under a rock and have no idea what I’m talking about, read on. Basically, a flashmob happens when a group of people meet up in an area at the same time. And I’m not talking about ten or twenty people; I’m talking a couple hundred. Or thousand (like in this case). The one today took place at Liverpool Street Station, and most people found out through the genius that is Facebook. It was supposed to be a fifteen minute silent dance, where everyone turned up and danced to whatever was on their own ipod.

I’m telling you it was one of the most mental experiences of my life.

I got there about nine minutes late, but it was already in full swing. I was instantly overwhelmed with the amount of people present. And as for the ‘silent dance’ bit, scrap that, it was more like a loud rave. People screaming and jumping around (my friend said he saw a man strip – I didn’t, thank goodness) and dancing to, well, nothing.

The police were there also, and I think they were amazed to see how many people turned up. Commuters who didn’t know about this momentous event also were shocked to find Liverpool Street Station literally overflowing with people. It was so bad that they shut the Central Line part of the station, which rendered me stranded.

I exited at around thirty five past seven, leaving the police the impossible task of breaking up the mob (they yelled at everyone to leave over the public system – to no avail) and quickly called my sister to find out an alternative route home (she knows about these things). En route to Moorgate station, I took some more pics:


After arriving at Moorgate, I topped up my Oyster (it cost me ONE POUND THIRTY FIVE to get to Liverpool Street, criminal!) and got on a train and changed at Bank to get back onto the Central Line. On the final part of my journey, the train didn’t even stop at Liverpool Street as it was still closed. There were some Chinese people on the train who were eating something I can only describe as Rice Krispies that were glued together in a shape of a cylinder (I thought this was intriguing, I would have taken a pic but it would have been rude). A couple of stops before mine, two girls got on the train wearing school shirts and very, very short skirts (they pretended they weren’t cold, they were lying to themselves). They flirted with the men around them (which clearly made the guys night – funny!) and got off at my stop. Then, I nearly slipped and dropped on sand that was put on the road (I don’t care what anyone says, the ‘Waffle grip’ on Vans is not actual grip), and I thought: ‘Is it going to snow again?’ I looked up, and lo and behold, it was.

Madness. Only in London, eh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've been googling this since my mum came back from there. she's been going on and on about it. she got quite lost and was quite bewildered at what was going on. I'm showing her the pics! so thanks

just out of interest, what was the name of the Facebook group which organised this?

MasterNath said...

The group name was Silent Dance @ Liverpool Street Station.

I've just found out that 13,000 people were there. Mad!